Rye Valley History

Category: Pugh

The Life of Mary Pickle: Part 2

The Life of Mary Pickle: Part 2

Introduction to Part 2 Mary Pickle lived in the Teas community for the majority of her life, yet little was known about her at the time the original article, The Life of Mary Pickle: From Smyth County Almshouse to Teas, Virginia, was published. The piece offered only a few facts and a photograph that did not reveal her face. Recently, however, additional details have emerged through newly found research conducted by Donald Harrington, which further illuminate her story. Jennie Shinault Williams Jennie Shinault Williams was born on August 22, 1855. Her husband, John Williams, was born on December 15, 1838, and passed away on November 22, 1910, ten years after Martha came to live with them. After his death, Jennie was left to support herself and Martha, the young girl whom John’s brother had entrusted to their care. The family resided in a large, two-story house near the river in Teas, Virginia. John Williams, a medical doctor who served in the Civil War, was injured by a bullet in his leg, which left him with a permanent limp. After her husband’s passing, Jennie needed a reliable source of income to cover living expenses, taxes, and the everyday necessities of life. A new industry had emerged in the community, bringing many workers in need of housing. With a large house and extra rooms available, Jennie decided to take in boarders and provide meals. This decision added to her workload, shared with Martha, but it was a practical way to sustain their household. As part of her efforts, Jennie approached the superintendent of the Smyth County Poorhouse to inquire about taking in a resident to help with the chores and farm work in exchange for their upkeep. The superintendent agreed, and three young people were sent to live with Jennie and Martha. One of these was a boy named Ed Godfrey. He stayed with the Williams family for a time before finding work at the nearby Extract plant. Later, Ed married Zenna Rector, a local girl, and moved to Northfork, West Virginia. He returned to visit Jennie on occasion and kept in touch through letters. Another young person who came to live with Jennie was Emma Osborn. She eventually married John Wilkerson, who ran a small country store about three miles from Sugar Grove, on Cedar Springs Road. Jennie married three times in her life. Her second husband was Alonzo Greear from Grant, Virginia, in Grayson County, and her third husband was Robert Young, from Troutdale. Throughout her three marriages, Mary Pickle remained a constant presence in Jennie’s household, either as a guest or as a helper. This explains her continued residence with Jennie, even as her family grew and changed. Mary stayed with Jennie until Jennie’s health began to decline, at which point they moved in with Martha, who was married and had her own family. Mary Pickle came to live with Jennie and Martha. She had a learning disability and was unable to support herself. She did not know her parents or where or when she was born. Mary was about 15 or 16 years old when she joined the Williams household. She was diligent about keeping the house clean, although she never learned to cook. She loved washing dishes and would gather eggs from the hen house in the afternoon. Mary also took the kitchen scraps to the hogs. One year, they had an unusually large hog, and Mary told the family that it was as big as a “hippo totus.” A willing worker, Mary did whatever was asked of her. Like many farm families, they kept milk cows, so it was necessary for someone to churn the sour cream into butter—a task Mary took on. Mary, like many women of the time, wore a bonnet and apron, both made by someone else. She was very particular about her bonnet and apron and insisted on wearing them all the time. Mary stayed with Jennie until Jennie’s health began to decline. By then, Martha had married Roy Griffitts and had a family of her own. Martha, however, could not turn away her old friend Mary. She welcomed her into her home, where Mary lived until her death. Although Mary never learned to read or write, she had a basic understanding of money and took great pride in the small amount she was given, often showing it off to others. However, she was not able to go to a store or make purchases on her own. Mary was a hardworking and pleasant person to be around. She helped with the family garden and contributed in many ways. She passed away in 1951 and was buried in the Teas Cemetery. Martha purchased a headstone and had it placed on her grave. The photo at the top of the article shows a younger Mary Pickle. This photo was contributed from those collected by Donald Harrington in his research. Additionally, much of the information in this article was transcribed from his original writings.  

Communities, Families, Griffitts, Harrington, Poor Farm, Pugh, Stories, Teas, Williams

A History: Wharf Hill UMC

A History: Wharf Hill UMC

Methodist church meetings in Sugar Grove date back as early as 1843 as documented in a 1993 history of Wharf Hill UMC. Originally Sugar Grove did not have a Baptist and Methodist church. The congregations met under one roof in a log church. The location of this church is not entirely clear. One source cited by Goodridge Wilson states that the church was located near Roberts Mill and is described as an “old log union church” that was moved to Sugar Grove. Another source, from 1993 on the History of Wharf Hill UMC states that a log church stood on a hill near the present day Sugar Grove Baptist Church.  Community elder, Jack Taylor clarified that the old building was likely located about 100 yards east of Sugar Grove Baptist Church on what is presently Maple Leaf Park and tells about the excavation that was taking place when the ball field was being graded at the school adjacent to the church. He recalled that work stopped abruptly after something was hit and uncovered that could have been an old cemetery. It was instead determined that this was the remaining foundation of the old church. This location coincides with the church history which describes a church located on a hill on land either owned or given by James Ward. At some point, there was a church disagreement which resulted in the Methodists and Baptists having their own individual places of worship in Sugar Grove.  At the time this came about, Jacob and Alpha Whisman donated a tract of land to  Stephen Keesling, James Ward, William R. Buchanan, Alexander Pierce, and James A. Scott who were later named Trustees of the Methodist Church. At one time, this land had the geographical appearance of a wharf and a hill and then became known as Wharf Hill. At some point, the church site and surrounding area served was known as the Wharf Hill School District. When the church was erected on this land, it was then known as  Wharf Hill Methodist Episcopal Church, South. This building was constructed of lumber hewn from the local forests nearby and stood on a limestone foundation. The church membership was made up of some of Sugar Grove’s early settlers and their families. For nearly 50 years, this building served the community. During this time, there were lots of changes to land, boundaries, roads, and the relocations of roads in the area. This caused a need for the church to be relocated.  In 1905, the original piece of land and $50 cash were traded to T.M. Hutton and his wife for a lot located on the north side of the newly located road and about one-eighth of a mile northwest of the old church building. On this new lot, the church members built a slightly larger church that had plastered walls, stained glass windows and a bell. Much of the lumber from the old building was repurposed and used in the construction of this new building.  It was dedicated early in the summer of 1906, under the Reverend Thomas S. Hamilton. Several changes were taking place in Sugar Grove and the surrounding area served by the church during these early years at the beginning of the 20th century. Many of the families who once lived in the area and called it home, moved west. Down at Teas, the lumber business and extract plant brought along with it the Marion Rye Valley Railroad along with new families who settled in the community. Between 1906 and 1951, church attendance grew so much that there was a need for yet another new building that was larger and could better serve the congregation and community.  On August 24, 1951, a deed between Virgie H. Haulsee and husband, W.C. Haulsee and the trustees of the Wharf Hill Methodist Church was entered into that involved the purchase of some lots behind the 1905 original church building.  In October 1951, ground was broke beginning the construction of the new building. With only limited amounts of money at a time and frequent discouragements in the construction process, the church was finally completed and held its first service on the first Sunday in February 1953.These early services were held in the assembly room and Sunday school rooms in the basement. In 1957, Sugar Grove High School’s graduating class had their Baccalaureate ceremony in the recently constructed church building. This is reflected in the Sugar Grove Maple Leaf yearbook for that year in a single photo of the graduating class participants.  Sometime after this, the church also purchased additional adjoining land from Emory Calhoun who owned the Ridge Lawn Cemetery. In later years, the church constructed an open air fellowship hall between the church and Ridge Lawn Cemetery that in recent years was enclosed and remodeled to include a kitchen, fireplace and meeting space where community meals could be enjoyed. Associated Cemeteries: Ridgelawn *Photos from the William Pugh Collection and Elmer Phillippi Collection

Churches, Methodist, Nelson, Pugh, Sugar Grove

A History: Elizabeth UMC

A History: Elizabeth UMC

Church History 1899-1972 Written March 26, 1972 by Sena R. Ward In 1899, in a one room schoolhouse on the property of Monroe Pugh, now owned by his grandson Hix Pugh, three fourths of a mile west of the present Elizabeth United Methodist Church, the idea of the present church was put into a contract.  One Sunday each month services were held there. Voting for elections also was done here in the Williams School as it was named. During the week the building, now leveled by the erosive elements of time, served for the following known pupils: Celia Gore Richardson, Cullen Cox, Dave Cox, Claude Cox, Guy Cox, Boss Cox, Ted Calhoun, Hazel Calhoun, Ida, Calhoun, Laura Calhoun, Edith Calhoun, Martha Williams Griffitts, Cordie, Keesling Steffey, Beulah Keesling, French Keesling, Annie Robbins, Fannie Kirby Robbins, Flossie Scott, Chloe Scott Draper Wysor, Jettie Griffitts, Evelyn Griffitts, Bertie Keesling Currin, Edd Pugh, Mable Dunlap Meek, Charles Scott, Alice Scott Griffitts and Minnie Scott Rector. The stewards who drew up the contract were: J.T. Calhoun (Thomps), L.M. Pugh (Monroe), S.A. Meek (Steve), J.C. James (Con), John M. Williams. The original copy of the contract is owned by Mrs. Martha Williams Griffitts. Charles Richmond Scott made the copy from which this is taken: “Know all men by these present, that we, J. M. Williams, L.M. Pugh, J.T. Calhoun, S. A. Meek and J.C. James party of the first part and S. F. Wright party of the second part, have hereby entered into the following contract binding ourselves for the execution of the same under the following bond. The party of the second part contracts to build a church on the lot of ground given by L.M. Pugh, said church to be built according to the pan and specification which have been furnished by Frank Fallenshir and said plan and specification are a part of this contract.  Party of the second part is to thoroughly season the lumber, party of the second part shall erect the house doing all the carpenter work except the windows, sash and inside doors, shutters, include pulpit seats, entire inner walls and build the tower, all to be done in workman like manner of the first class, said work to be completed by August 1st  1899. Party of the first part shall pay the sum of $300.00 to the party of the second part when said house shall be received by them or satisfactory party of second part therefor.  Party of the first part shall have a credit of $1.00  per day for all carpenters work as subscribed which they may be able to put in on job provided it shall not exceed $50.00 and shall in no way hinder the completion of the work by him aforesaid. We bind ourselves each party to the other in the sum of $1000.00 for the faithful execution of this contract.” May 1, 1899 Signed/                                                                                Signed/ S.F. Wright, Contractor                                                  J.T. Calhoun L.W. Pugh John M. Williams S. A. Meek J.C. James   Mr. Joe H. Scott hauled the big flat rocks that were used for the foundation of the original church. Mr Steve Meek gave and hauled lumber. Mr. Thomps Calhoun sawed it on his mill, located just below where the old Teas School house, which is now used for storing hay. Grandville Griffitts gave the big poplar log which Steve Meek hauled, Thomps Calhoun sawed, and out of which all the original seats were made. Bill Pugh remembers seeing the picture of the log, which was so large they had to cut part of the log out before it could be loaded between the standards on a wagon. Mrs. John M. Williams (known as Aunt Jane) did a great deal of work for the early church.  At her death she gave the sum of $500.00, the interest of which was to be used for the church/ She also did the same for the WIlliams Cemetery She gave $15000.00 to the orphanage at Greenville, TN. The church was named for Elizabeth L. Thomas WIlliams (1819-1877), Wife of Rufus K. Williams (1806-1860). Elizabeth was the mother of Sarah Loulle Williams Pugh (1857-1892), first wife of Monroe Pugh. This information was obtained from a bible owned by Mrs. Martha Williams Griffitts. Mrs. Martin Richardson, mother of Mrs. Herbert Scott, attended the dedication of the church in August, 1899, and told Mrs. Scott there were no shade trees around the church; poles were put up for shade. This is quite a contrast to the beautiful sugar maples there today. The first major remodeling of the church was done in 1930. The work was started when the Rev. C. H. Vernon was pastor. A furnace, purchased from Marion Vance, was installed . Basil and Ralph Griffitts did the work under the direction of Bayard Cole. Jim Scott and  Bill Meek dug the basement with a horse drawn scraper. Part of the curbing and walks were put in. The church was bricked. I.C. Choate and Steve Meek gave $400.00 each on this job. Others contributed also. The upstairs Sunday School rooms were built by I. W. Leedy. A piano was purchased with money raised by Roy Grifitts. Mae Collins Scott was one, if not the first, organist. The organ was traded in on a piano. So far, no record has been found of the purchase of the organ. Walt Calhoun directed the singing until the organ was purchased. Walter (Bass) Griffitts, Lee Robbins, Estelle Robbins and Claude Sexton lad the floor, finished them and did the other interior painting and refinishing as it is today, 1972. Will Calhoun made the channel rail. The beautiful stained glass windows were given in honor of Emory L. Calhoun, William M and Walter V. Grifitts, Donna H. Keesling, E. L. and Myrtle M. Pugh, Darrell Earnest, Stephen A. Meek, Lanthel Choate, Frank M. Robbins, John A. and Ollie JohnsonBill and Myrtle Meek, G.L. an H.Y. Pugh, Roy Griffitts, W.M. Grifitts and Mae Collins…

Calhoun, Chisenhall, Choate, Churches, Cole, Communities, Cox, Currin, Elizabeth UMC, Griffitts, James, Keesling, Methodist, Pierce, Pugh, Robbins, Scott, Teas, Ward, Williams