Methodist church meetings in Sugar Grove date back as early as 1843 as documented in a 1993 history of Wharf Hill UMC. Originally Sugar Grove did not have a Baptist and Methodist church. The congregations met under one roof in a log church. The location of this church is not entirely clear.
One source cited by Goodridge Wilson states that the church was located near Roberts Mill and is described as an “old log union church” that was moved to Sugar Grove. Another source, from 1993 on the History of Wharf Hill UMC states that a log church stood on a hill near the present day Sugar Grove Baptist Church. Community elder, Jack Taylor clarified that the old building was likely located about 100 yards east of Sugar Grove Baptist Church on what is presently Maple Leaf Park and tells about the excavation that was taking place when the ball field was being graded at the school adjacent to the church. He recalled that work stopped abruptly after something was hit and uncovered that could have been an old cemetery. It was instead determined that this was the remaining foundation of the old church. This location coincides with the church history which describes a church located on a hill on land either owned or given by James Ward.
At some point, there was a church disagreement which resulted in the Methodists and Baptists having their own individual places of worship in Sugar Grove. At the time this came about, Jacob and Alpha Whisman donated a tract of land to Stephen Keesling, James Ward, William R. Buchanan, Alexander Pierce, and James A. Scott who were later named Trustees of the Methodist Church.
At one time, this land had the geographical appearance of a wharf and a hill and then became known as Wharf Hill. At some point, the church site and surrounding area served was known as the Wharf Hill School District. When the church was erected on this land, it was then known as Wharf Hill Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
This building was constructed of lumber hewn from the local forests nearby and stood on a limestone foundation. The church membership was made up of some of Sugar Grove’s early settlers and their families.
For nearly 50 years, this building served the community. During this time, there were lots of changes to land, boundaries, roads, and the relocations of roads in the area. This caused a need for the church to be relocated. In 1905, the original piece of land and $50 cash were traded to T.M. Hutton and his wife for a lot located on the north side of the newly located road and about one-eighth of a mile northwest of the old church building.
On this new lot, the church members built a slightly larger church that had plastered walls, stained glass windows and a bell. Much of the lumber from the old building was repurposed and used in the construction of this new building. It was dedicated early in the summer of 1906, under the Reverend Thomas S. Hamilton.
Several changes were taking place in Sugar Grove and the surrounding area served by the church during these early years at the beginning of the 20th century. Many of the families who once lived in the area and called it home, moved west.
Down at Teas, the lumber business and extract plant brought along with it the Marion Rye Valley Railroad along with new families who settled in the community.
Between 1906 and 1951, church attendance grew so much that there was a need for yet another new building that was larger and could better serve the congregation and community. On August 24, 1951, a deed between Virgie H. Haulsee and husband, W.C. Haulsee and the trustees of the Wharf Hill Methodist Church was entered into that involved the purchase of some lots behind the 1905 original church building.
In October 1951, ground was broke beginning the construction of the new building. With only limited amounts of money at a time and frequent discouragements in the construction process, the church was finally completed and held its first service on the first Sunday in February 1953.These early services were held in the assembly room and Sunday school rooms in the basement.
In 1957, Sugar Grove High School’s graduating class had their Baccalaureate ceremony in the recently constructed church building. This is reflected in the Sugar Grove Maple Leaf yearbook for that year in a single photo of the graduating class participants.
Sometime after this, the church also purchased additional adjoining land from Emory Calhoun who owned the Ridge Lawn Cemetery.
In later years, the church constructed an open air fellowship hall between the church and Ridge Lawn Cemetery that in recent years was enclosed and remodeled to include a kitchen, fireplace and meeting space where community meals could be enjoyed.
Associated Cemeteries: Ridgelawn





*Photos from the William Pugh Collection and Elmer Phillippi Collection